The Youth Leadership Academy (YLA) is a multi-faceted program that contains sessional youth leadership development programs, with mentorship services. It is FREE to join, and is open to a wide range of ages. This program offers a safe space for participants to develop a greater sense of belonging in the group. After completing a session, youth will be provided with a certificate and recognition for their engagement.
Through the Youth Leadership Academy, youth have a chance to test their personal limits, challenge themselves, and ‘level up’ while in a supportive community.
YLA Registered Programming
The 2022/2023 theme is Uniquely You! We will draw on the individual strengths and interests of participants providing them with the tools to embrace their unique selves. Participants will work on self-expression & confidence building through art, physical activities, community presentations, excursions and more.
YLA Mentorship Services
*Now open to children and youth in Grades 1-12
This is a 13-week program that provides you an opportunity to work with a mentor in a small group environment, it is offered by referral only. Youth are placed in small groups with peers as they work to develop and enhance social skills, self-esteem, self-worth, and resiliency skills. Mentors will lead participants through engaging and interactive games, and curriculum-based activities while meeting the unique needs.
By participating in Youth Leadership Programs, youth will:
- Gain awareness of how personal actions impact the larger communities
- Engage in the community in a positive manner
- Demonstrate respect and caring for oneself and others
- Have a sense of responsibility to self and others
- Gain Integrity
- Have an increased awareness of cultural differences among peers and the larger community
- Set high expectations for self and community
- Build a sense of purpose through goals and activities
- Build on their ability to both lead and support others in their initiatives
Interested in being involved?
Either fill out the form below or contact the YMCA’s Front Desk at 306-757-9622