Building Maintenance Operator
The YMCA of Regina is a non-profit charity open to all. We are dedicated to building strong kids, strong families and strong communities. We focus our program delivery on our three pillars of service: health and fitness, community development, and childcare.
We are looking for a skilled Building Maintenance Operator to provide general maintenance at our various locations throughout the city. You will be responsible for performing general building upkeep and applying basic fixes to equipment and building systems, and ensuring the buildings remain functional. Some of the main responsibilities of this role involve responding to maintenance requests, performing general regular maintenance duties, and ensuring virtually all areas of the building, including the flooring, ceiling, lighting, walls, HVAC and plumbing are in good working order.
Roles & Responsibilities:
- Conduct regular inspections to identify and address maintenance issues promptly.
- Perform basic repairs on electrical, plumbing, and HVAC systems.
- Inspect and maintain building structures, including doors, windows, and floors.
- Undertake simple carpentry projects such as building, repairing, and/or installing structures and furniture.
- Ensure the proper use of hand and power tools for woodworking tasks.
- Apply paint, varnish, and other finishes to surfaces using appropriate techniques.
- Repair and touch up painted surfaces as needed.
- Patch and install drywall as needed.
- Troubleshoot and repair plumbing issues, including leaks and clogs.
- Install or replace plumbing fixtures as necessary.
- Address basic electrical problems, such as changing light fixtures and outlets.
- Work collaboratively with licensed electricians for more complex electrical tasks.
- Maintain outdoor spaces by mowing lawns, trimming hedges, and removing debris.
- Monitor and address landscaping issues, such as irrigation and plant care.
- Maintain and repair tools and equipment used in daily maintenance tasks.
- Coordinate with vendors for equipment servicing and repairs.
- Ensure that all maintenance activities adhere to safety regulations and guidelines.
- Identify potential safety hazards and take corrective action.
- Fall Safety certification.
- Scissor Lift Operators certification.
- Additional certifications in specific trades (e.g., plumbing, electrical) are a plus.
- Must have valid class 5 driver’s license and have personal vehicle for transportation between locations.
- Proven experience as a handyman or in a similar maintenance role.
- Strong knowledge of general maintenance processes and methods.
- Proficiency in the use of hand and power tools.
- Basic understanding of electrical, plumbing, and HVAC systems.
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks efficiently.
- Excellent problem-solving skills and attention to detail.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Physical stamina and the ability to lift heavy objects.
- Ability to work all shifts including morning, afternoon, evening and overnight.
- Criminal Record Check prior to first day of work and dated no more than 3 months before hire date.
The YMCA of Regina is an equal opportunity employer and provides a competitive total rewards package. Applicants with high standards for performance are encouraged to apply online to firstname.lastname@example.org. In application, please provide a cover letter, resume and 3 professional references.